The holder of this Official Identification Card of the Georgia Institute of Technology, hereinafter referred to as “Cardholder” and “BuzzCard”, respectively, hereby opens a BuzzCard Account, herein referred to as “Account”. Activation of this Account by virtue of any funds deposit constitutes acceptance and agreement to be bound by all the terms and conditions set forth herein. A cardholder not utilizing the BuzzCard for an Account agrees to be bound by Sections 3, 4 and 5 of this Disclosure. The Card and Account will be administered by the BuzzCard Center, a division of Campus Services, Georgia Institute of Technology, University System of Georgia, herein referred to as the “Institute”.
1. THE BUZZCARD ACCOUNT.
a. The Account is a record of pre-deposited funds (Debit Account) accessed by the Cardholder for the purpose of purchasing products and services.
b. There is no daily limit on the number of purchases that may be made and debited; however no debits or charges shall exceed the amount of deposited funds.
c. No interest shall be paid on any balance in the Account.
d. The Cardholder understands and agrees that the Account shall not be used as a credit card or to obtain cash advances.
e. The Cardholder understands and agrees that Account funds may not be withdrawn except as provided for in Section 8, Account Closure.
f. The Cardholder understands and agrees that the Account is non-transferable.
g. After initial Account activation, additional deposits may be made at any time. Minimum deposits are $1.00 per each cash deposit; $20.00 per each credit card deposit; $10.00 per each payroll deduction deposit ; $50.00 in association with any meal plan purchase.
h. Deposits may be made as follows: (1) Online via the web at buzzcard.gatech.edu. Deposits made online will be credited to the Account immediately upon receipt by Cardholder of a deposit confirmation. (2) In person at any Value Transfer Station (VTS/PHIL) with cash or credit card. (Credit cards may not be accepted at all VTS/PHIL locations.) Deposits made at a VTS or PHIL will be credited to the Account immediately. (3) In person at the BuzzCard Center with cash, check, money order, credit or debit card. Deposits made at the BuzzCard Center will be credited to the Account immediately. (4) In person at the Bursar’s Office (Student Cardholders only) with cash, check, or money order only. The Bursar’s Office does not accept credit or debit cards. Deposits received in the Bursar’s Office by 4:00 PM will be credited to the Account by 7:00 AM the following business day. (5) In connection with a meal plan purchase or exchange made online via the web at apply.mealplan.gatech.edu. Deposits made online via the meal plan application will be credited to the Account by 6:00 AM the business day following receipt by Cardholder of a purchase confirmation. (6) By mail with a check, money order, or credit card only. Deposits received by mail will be credited to the Account by 6:00 AM the next business day following postal delivery to the BuzzCard Office. (7) Faculty/Staff regularly scheduled payroll deduction. Deposits authorized by Faculty/Staff payroll deduction will be credited to the Account prior to 6:00 AM on each pay date.
2. FEES. There are no charges assessed to the Cardholder for any transaction(s); however, a check presented for deposit to an Account which is returned due to insufficient funds will be assessed a fee according to the customary fee schedule followed by the Institute’s Office of the Bursar. The Cardholder’s Account will be deactivated until the Cardholder deposits sufficient funds to cover both the overdraft amount and the insufficient funds fee. See Section 8 below for fees assessed upon Account closure.
3. THE BUZZCARD. The mechanism for accessing the Cardholder’s Account shall be the BuzzCard, hereinafter referred to as “Card.” The Cardholder must present his/her Card at the time of use in order to purchase products or services.
a. The Card is the property of the Institute and is nontransferable.
b. The Card may be confiscated from Cardholder as a result of inappropriate or illegal use.
4. REPLACING LOST, STOLEN or CONFISCATED CARDS. A lost or stolen Card must be reported immediately in person at the BuzzCard Center or by telephone at (404) 894-BUZZ (2899) during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. After business hours, a Cardholder may suspend the card online at http://www.buzzcard.gatech.edu. Replacement cards may be obtained at the BuzzCard Center. A fee will be imposed for replacement of a lost, stolen or confiscated Card.
5. REPLACING DAMAGED CARDS. No charge will be imposed for the replacement of a Card that ceases to function through normal, daily usage. Characteristics indicating normal usage are a scratched or worn stripe, frayed or peeling plastic overlay, or horizontal breakage/cracking. Characteristics not indicating normal usage are broken edges or corners, un-authorized hole punches, and vertical breakage/cracking. A charge will be imposed for the replacement of a Card not indicating normal usage.
6. LIABILITY FOR UNAUTHORIZED PURCHASES. The Institute complies with the requirements of Federal Truth in Lending Law. If a Card is lost or stolen, the Cardholder is responsible for no more than $50 in unauthorized Account purchases, provided the Card is reported as lost or stolen to the BuzzCard Center or the Georgia Tech Police Department within two calendar days of the loss or theft. Once the Card is reported as lost or stolen, the Card (and its associated Account) will be deactivated and the Cardholder is not responsible for any subsequent card purchases. Should the Cardholder notify the BuzzCard Center or the Georgia Tech Police Department after two days of the loss but within sixty (60) days after the issuance of an Account Activity Statement containing the unauthorized purchase(s), the Cardholder is responsible for no more than $500 in unauthorized Account purchases. If the Cardholder fails to notify the BuzzCard Center of an unauthorized Card purchase within sixty (60) days after an Account Activity Statement containing such purchase has been issued, then the Cardholder limit of liability does not apply.
7. REFUNDS AND RETURNS. Merchandise may be accepted for return in accordance with the refund policy in effect at the place of purchase of the product(s) or service(s). Any refund(s) shall be credited to the Cardholder’s Account; no cash refund(s) will be made for any purchase made with the Card.
8. ACCOUNT CLOSURE.
a. Except as provided in Item 8.b., the lesser of $35.00 or any remaining account balance will be retained as an account closure fee.
b. Students graduating or otherwise leaving the institution, and all other campus community members may request a refund of any balance in excess of $35.00 by submitting a BuzzCard Account Closure Form to the BuzzCard Center. The $35.00 Account Closure Fee will be waived upon request for any employee or affiliate closing a BuzzCard Account in connection with an involuntary termination. Refund requests shall be processed within ten (10) business days. Please allow additional time for postal service delivery.
c. The BuzzCard Center shall close any Account that has been inactive for eighteen (18) months or greater (“inactive account”) and which has not already been closed pursuant to item b. Refund of a balance in excess of $35.00 shall be processed within 30 days of the calendar quarter end date in which the account became inactive. All student refunds will be posted as a credit to the Cardholder’s Student Account and disbursed by the Bursar’s Office of the Georgia Institute of Technology according to regularly scheduled refund procedures. All non-student refunds (employees and visitors) will be issued by ACH or by check to the last known address of record.
d. Upon Account closure, any balance in the Account remaining after the closure fee will first be applied to any debt the Cardholder owes the Institute. Any balance in the Account less applicable fees and debts owed to the Institute will be returned to Cardholder.
9. RECEIPTS AND STATEMENTS. If the point of sale terminal is equipped to provide a receipt, the Cardholder will either receive a receipt as a matter of course or upon request. It is the Cardholder’s responsibility to ensure that the receipt is correct. Monthly statements are available online at http://www.buzzcard.gatech.edu.
10. ERROR RESOLUTION.
a. If there is an error on a receipt or Activity Statement, or if the Cardholder would like more information about a specific transaction, the BuzzCard Center may be contacted by telephone at (404) 894-BUZZ (2899) or by regular U.S. mail within sixty (60) days of the Activity Statement date to the following address:
Georgia Institute of Technology
Information Technology Group-BuzzCard Center
48 5th St NW, 2nd Floor
Atlanta, GA 30308
In the event of verbal notification, the BuzzCard Center requires that the Cardholder submit a written notification within ten (10) business days.
b. When making a request for an adjustment to the Account, the Cardholder must furnish the following information in writing: (1) the Cardholder’s name and Account number; (2) the date and dollar amount of the transaction in question; and (3) a description of the transaction in question, including an explanation of the discrepancy.
c. The BuzzCard Center will investigate the Cardholder’s request and provide a written decision to the Cardholder within ten (10) business days. If an error is found, the BuzzCard Center will make the necessary adjustments to the Cardholder’s Account. If no error is found, the BuzzCard Center will provide the Cardholder with a written explanation within three (3) business days of the conclusion of the investigation. The Cardholder may request copies of the document(s) used to conduct the investigation.
11. DISCLOSURE OF ACCOUNT INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
. Information about the Cardholder’s Account will be disclosed to third parties only
a. in order to complete a transaction;
b. in order to comply with a government agency or court order;
c. in conjunction with all other cardholder accounts in the aggregate but not specific in regard to any individual’s account;
d. to provide the Institute with the Cardholder’s image, use of which is restricted solely to internal identification purposes, including but not limited to the generation of photo based class rosters; or
e. with Cardholder’s written permission.
12. CHANGES IN TERMS AND CONDITIONS. The terms and conditions of this Disclosure are effective and remain binding until the Cardholder is otherwise notified in writing. Notice sent electronically to the cardholder’s last known e-mail address of record shall constitute adequate and sufficient notice. If any changes are made to the terms and conditions, the BuzzCard Center shall provide the Cardholder with notice of change(s) at least twenty-one (21) days in advance of the effective date. Prior notice need not be given where immediate change in terms and conditions is necessary to maintain or restore the security of the Account.
13. GOVERNING LAW. This Disclosure of Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Georgia.
Updated May 12, 2014